Wednesday 21 March 2012

Out For A Swim?

       Before I began reading the novel, I spent a few minutes reading and analyzing the back cover of the book, where Kate Chopin powerfully writes, “She wanted to swim far out, where no woman had swum before.” What I understood from the quote, having in mind it was a feminist book I was reading, was that a woman had a desire to break free from what is considered appropriate for her, and go to a place where no other woman has been. I though the place she was talking about was satisfaction of ones life, knowing that you are doing what who really wish to do, without any limitations. Further on in the novel, I came across a phrase, or a few phrases, that took me back to the quote in the back cover. After having some trouble with a painting, Mrs. Pontellier feels to tired to go out for a swim. But Robert, noticing her attitude, insists in the idea of bathing. “'Oh, come!' he insisted. 'you mustn't miss your bath. Come on. The water must be delicious; it will not hurt you. Come.'” (Chopin, 33) When I read this, I connected it with the quote mentioned before. I thought that maybe what was stopping Mrs. Pontellier from swimming far from what was expected for her, was the feeling of tiredness and purposeless she felt. The same feeling she had when she failed in her attempt of painting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment